These wholesome, gluten-free flatbreads often called Bajra Roti (or Bajre ki Roti or Bajra Bhakri) are a scrumptious pairing for any Indian lentil or vegetable-based curry. My recipe could be very straightforward to make, requiring simply 20 minutes of prep time. Attempt making these tasty, hearty roti in the present day!
About Bajra Roti
Bajra roti (often known as bajra bhakri) is a gluten-free flatbread made with pearl millet flour. Bajra is the Hindi phrase for pearl millet. These gluten-free flatbreads are a wonderful nutritious choice for anybody with a gluten sensitivity, and for everybody else, too!
There are various kinds of grains to select from when making Roti, so I do my greatest to attempt all of them. Some days I make multigrain flour rotis by mixing collectively totally different flours, different instances I stick with only a single grain like for these bajra roti or my Jowar Roti (sorghum flour flatbread).
You also needs to know that pearl millet (bajra) isn’t the one form of millet flour round. I additionally wish to make Ragi Roti (from finger millet flour). Millets are wholesome grains, so it’s best to attempt to embody them in your weight loss program.
These tasty bajre ki roti are a pleasant method to introduce millet into your weight loss program. Not solely are they hearty, tasty, and straightforward to make, they’re additionally fairly wholesome! In actual fact, bajra roti has been related to improved intestine well being, weight reduction, and stabilized blood sugar.
This easy bajre ki roti recipe requires simply 4 elements, that means a tasty, gluten-free flatbread isn’t removed from attain. All you want is pearl millet flour, a neutral-flavored oil, salt, and water, plus somewhat below an hour to make them. Simple, proper? So let’s get began.
The right way to Make Bajra Roti
1: First, warmth 1 cup of water. The water needs to be scorching however not boiling. Swap off the warmth, then add 1 teaspoon oil and salt as wanted. Combine effectively.
2: Add 2 to 2.5 cups of bajra flour to the water (or vice versa).
3: Combine with a spoon if the water is just too scorching. When you use heat water, then you should use your fingers for mixing.
4: Collect the blended dough and knead to a gentle, clean dough when the warmth is ok sufficient to deal with.
Tip 1: If the dough appears dry and crumbly, add some scorching or heat water. Combine and knead.
Tip 2: If the dough appears too moist or moist or has develop into sticky, add some bajra flour. Combine and proceed to knead.
5: Pinch a small or medium-sized ball, flatten it barely along with your palms, and dirt it with calmly with some bajra flour from either side.
6: This isn’t my forte, so I wish to fold a ziplock bag, place the dough ball between the halves, and gently roll it out with a rolling pin or through the use of my arms to press it outwards.
Mud calmly with flour as wanted to maintain the dough from sticking.
7: Gently take away the flat raw bread from the ziplock bag and place it on a scorching tawa or flat pan or skillet. Hold the warmth from medium-high to excessive.
8: Prepare dinner the primary aspect till you see just a few blisters. Flip and cook dinner the opposite aspect. Flip a few instances and cook dinner until brown spots and blisters seem on either side.
Unfold some oil or ghee on prime should you like. Prepare dinner all rotis this fashion. Stack them in a roti basket or casserole, in order that they keep heat.
9: Serve Bajra roti scorching or heat with an Indian vegetable curry, dal or aspect veggie dish. Take pleasure in!
Making bajra bhakri isn’t essentially tough, but it surely does take a little bit of follow and finesse. Listed here are a few of my greatest suggestions for making certain your roti come out completely each single time:
- You should definitely use scorching water. The dough turns into extra pliable and simpler to roll should you use scorching water. The rotis may even have a softer texture should you do. Word that the water needn’t be boiling scorching – simply scorching sufficient like that whereas having a shower or doing the dishes.
- Variation: When you discover making these flatbreads too cumbersome, add some entire wheat flour (atta). Together with entire wheat flour within the dough will make it simpler so that you can roll the roti.
- Don’t use solely a rolling pin. As a result of these rotis are gluten-free, the dough is reasonably delicate. Quite than attempting to roll out the dough as you’d for wheat roti, I counsel utilizing a ziplock bag as a non-stick floor on both aspect of the dough balls and utilizing your arms to press the dough right into a circle or gently rolling it out with a rolling pin.
- Use an oil with a excessive smoke level. Ghee, vegetable oil, avocado oil, sunflower oil or peanut oil will all work. Oils with a decrease smoke level like olive oil needs to be prevented.
- Serve the bajra roti heat alongside a vegetable curry, dal, or perhaps a aspect dish. I served the Bajra roti with Bharli Vangi (stuffed aubergines in peanut-coconut-sesame gravy) this time round, and the combo was actually good.
They might additionally style nice with North Indian, Maharashtrian or Gujarati vegetable or legumes curry like Usal, Gutti Vankaya Kura, Sprouts Curry, or my Ennegayi recipe.
You positive can! If the dough turns into moist within the fridge, merely add a tablespoon or two of bajra flour; whether it is too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. You should definitely use inside 24 hours for greatest outcomes.
I’d counsel across the temperature that you just’d need for having a shower. Scorching, however not scalding!
Utilizing a rolling pin isn’t suggested for making bajra roti as a result of the dough could be very delicate. With out the addition of wheat flour (atta), no gluten is created. Whereas that’s excellent news for celiacs, it’s not nice for these of you who’re used to utilizing a rolling pin.
To simplify the method, I counsel utilizing a ziplock bag, two sheets of parchment, and even a big muslin fabric to surround the dough, then use your arms to press it out right into a spherical flatbread form.
In case you are nonetheless having problem, attempt including a little bit of potato flour/potato starch or entire wheat flour (atta) to the dough to assist make it a bit extra pliable.
Extra Roti Recipes To Attempt!
Please be sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Bajra Roti | Bajre ki Roti (Pearl Millet Flatbread)
Bajra Roti often known as Bajre ki Roti or Bajra Bhakri are gluten-free flatbreads comprised of pearl millet flour (a.okay.a bajra flour). These wholesome flatbreads pair deliciously with any Indian lentil or vegetable-based curry.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 50 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth or heat the water. Add salt and oil. Stir to combine.
Add the bajra flour. Stir with a spoon first. When the warmth is ok to deal with, knead right into a clean and gentle dough.
If the dough turns into sticky, then add extra flour.
If the dough is crumbly or dry, then add some water.
Making bajra roti
In the meantime warmth a tawa or a flat fry pan or skillet.
Make small to medium sized balls from the dough. Take one dough ball and flatten it barely along with your palms.
Mud calmly with flour on either side. Use parchment sheets or ziplock bag for rolling.
Place the dough ball between two parchment sheets or inside a ziplock bag.
With a rolling pin, roll gently to a flat spherical form.
Take away gently from the ziplock bag and place the rolled roti on the new tawa or skillet.
Prepare dinner until either side have brown spots and completed on a medium-high to excessive warmth.
- When one aspect is partly cooked, flip and cook dinner the second aspect. Flip just a few instances for even roasting of the roti. You need to see brown spots or blisters on either side. Take care to not burn the roti.
When roasted effectively sufficient, take away and unfold a little bit of oil or ghee on one aspect.
Make bajre ki roti this fashion in batches and stack them up in a roti basket.
You can even choose to pan fry the bajra roti like paratha with oil or ghee straight within the tawa/frying pan.
Serve Bajre ki Roti scorching or heat with a vegetable aspect dish or curry.
- Knead dough in scorching water: Attempt to knead the dough in scorching water. The dough turns into pliable and straightforward to roll when utilizing scorching water and the rotis have a gentle texture too. You can even choose to knead the dough in heat water. Word that the water needn’t be boiling scorching – however simply scorching sufficient like that when rinsing the dishes.
- Rolling Suggestions: Bajre ki roti is gluten-free, thus the dough is delicate. The dough may be patted with fingers when you have the follow of it. Or roll utilizing a ziplock bag or parchment paper on both aspect of the dough ball, utilizing your arms to press the dough right into a circle or gently rolling it out with a rolling pin.
- Fat: You may pass over the fat should you want. If you wish to use them, then use an oil with a excessive smoke level. Ghee, sunflower oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil, or peanut oil will all work. Oils with a decrease smoke level needs to be prevented.
Bajra Roti | Bajre ki Roti (Pearl Millet Flatbread)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 249 Energy from Fats 63
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Okay 0.2µg0%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 27µg7%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Bajre ki Roti recipe from the archives first printed in March 2013 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.