Right here’s a dish that’s as fascinating in its flavors as is in its identify – Dukkah. It historically belongs to the Egyptian delicacies and likewise is part of different Center Japanese cuisines. The Dukkah Recipe is a brilliant simple, easy, fast and attractive condiment made with nuts, seeds and spices. Because it doesn’t have any fat added to it and there’s solely the pure fat from the nuts and seeds on this floor combination, additionally it is a nutritious meals alternative. Additionally it is referred to as duqqa/dukka, doa or duah.
Dukkah or Duqqa is principally an Egyptian condiment with nuts, seeds, spices and herbs as its main elements. All elements are dry roasted, then put in a meals processor or a mixer-grinder together with seasonings (normally sea salt) and floor to a rough combination.
Dukkah Recipe is actually made to be served as a dip with a mix of crusty bread or contemporary vegetable crudités as a snack. Historically, the bread or veggies are first dipped in olive oil after which within the duqqa. This will also be served as a starter.
The phrase Dukkah has its origin within the Arabic language, a phrase which suggests ‘to pound.’ Definitely, the way in which this delicacy is ready explains this affiliation.
So, not simply within the Egyptian meals tradition, additionally it is in style in different Center Japanese and Arabic cuisines. Within the area of Hejaz in Saudi Arabia, it has been a speciality since ages.
There isn’t any exact composition for probably the most authentic Dukkah Recipe. Because the spice-seed-nut combination varies from individual to individual. Every household has their very own signature recipe to it.
Among the most typical elements that go on this dish are coriander seeds, sesame seeds, zaatar, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, hazelnuts, almonds, pine nuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Some variations may also have chickpeas and mint in them.
Extra on Dukkah Recipe
The Dukkah recipe was first shared with me by an Australian colleague who had make it for us on a number of events. He had additionally advised me how this condiment may be very in style even in Australia in addition to in the USA too.
At dwelling, we use the Dukkah on toasted wheat bread drizzled with some olive oil and likewise on salad and rice. It actually enhances the flavour of the meals and makes it ultra-yummy.
Usually, hazelnuts are the popular alternative of nuts in a traditional Dukkah Recipe. However different nuts, like almonds, pistachios, pinenuts, walnuts or perhaps a mixture of them, can be utilized to make it. In my recipe, I’ve used almonds.
Sesame seeds are additionally essential in a Dukkah Recipe. However together with sesame seeds, you can too add seeds like sunflower seeds, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds or a mix of all these seeds. I’ve added solely sesame seeds in my recipe.
Bear in mind for those who use flax seeds, then it’s important to hold the Dukkah within the freezer and use it in every week’s time, as later the flax seeds get rancid. I typically make one other wholesome mix utilizing sesame seeds and flax seeds.
For the spices, I’ve added coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and black peppers in my recipe. Seasoning could be achieved greatest with sea salt. However for those who don’t have it, you possibly can add common salt too.
1. Take 1 cup almonds and roast them in a frying pan or a skillet (on medium-low to medium warmth) till they grow to be crunchy. Put aside in a plate.
You’ll be able to choose to toast the almonds within the oven for those who want. Layer them in a single layer on a baking tray/baking sheet and toast in a pre-heated oven at 180 levels C/356 levels F for 10 to 12 minutes or as wanted till the almonds look toasted and have a crunchy texture.
2. In the identical pan, begin roasting ½ cup white sesame seeds on a low to medium-low warmth.
3. Roast the sesame seeds until they pop and alter coloration. Stir usually in order that the seeds don’t burn or get browned. Take away from the pan and put aside.
4. In the identical pan, roast 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, ½ tablespoon fennel seeds, 2 tablespoons cumin seeds and ½ teaspoon black peppercorns until aromatic. Put aside.
Let these toasted or roasted nuts, seeds and spices cool at room temperature. Make sure that they’re utterly cooled earlier than you course of them or else they will grow to be pasty.
5. Now firstly, in a coffee-grinder or a mixer-grinder or a meals processor, course of or grind the roasted almonds utilizing the heart beat possibility, to a rough combination with small chunks of almonds.
Don’t course of the almonds for too lengthy or else you’re going to get almond butter.
6. Subsequent, add all the opposite roasted complete spices to the meals processor or mixer-grinder or coffee-grinder.
7. Add common salt or sea salt as per style.
8. Course of or grind the spices and the already floor almonds collectively utilizing the heart beat possibility or until the specified stage of coarseness is achieved. You must course of till you get a rough sand-like texture.
Don’t course of an excessive amount of and make the combination superfine or pasty.
9. Switch to a clear air-tight jar and retailer within the fridge. Serve Dukkah as wanted along with your meals.
- Cool all of the elements after they’ve been roasted. In the event you put them sizzling or heat within the grinder jar, then on account of moisture, they will clog to one another and grow to be paste like.
- Make sure that the nuts, seeds haven’t gone rancid and inside their shelf life. Don’t use pre-roasted or toasted and salted nuts or seeds
- To extend the spice stage on this dish, you possibly can add some extra dried purple chilies and even purple chili flakes.
- As I discussed earlier, some Dukkah recipes have additionally zaatar, marjoram, chickpeas and mint added in it. Including dried mint will impart a cool aromatic taste to the duqqa.
- Discover with completely different forms of seeds, nuts and spices, and create the fusions and flavors you want.
- You’ll be able to season the duqqa both with sea salt or common salt.
Extra Related Recipes To Attempt!
Please you’ll want to charge the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Dukkah Recipe (Egyptian Nut and Spice Mix)
Dukkah is an easy, fast, wholesome and scrumptious condiment of a nuts, seeds and spices mix from the Egyptian Delicacies. Additionally it is referred to as duqqa/dukka, doa or duah.
Prep Time 0 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 20 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In a frying pan or skillet, roast the almonds on medium-low to medium warmth till they’re frivolously browned. Switch to a plate and put aside.
Roast the sesame seeds in the identical pan on low to medium-low warmth until they pop and their coloration modifications. Put aside.
Roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns until they odor aromatic. Put aside.
Let the roasted/toasted nuts and seeds cool utterly at room temperature.
As soon as cooled, switch them to a meals processor, coffee-grinder or a mixer-grinder.
Course of or grind utilizing the heart beat possibility till you get the specified stage of mix, barely coarse or semi-fine.
You can even choose to course of or grind the almonds first after which the sesame seeds and spices like I’ve achieved within the step-by-step pictorial above.
Take away in an air-tight jar. Retailer Dukkah within the fridge. It retains properly for about 2 weeks. You can even freeze for an extended shelf life.
- To extend the spiciness, you possibly can add some extra dry purple chilies and even purple chili flakes.
- Including dry mint will give a aromatic coolness to the duqqa.
- Some dukkah recipes have additionally marjoram, zaatar and chickpeas added in it. You’ll be able to select so as to add these for those who like.
- Cool all of the elements after they’ve been roasted. In the event you put them sizzling or heat within the grinder, then on account of moisture they clog to one another and grow to be paste like.
- Discover with the seeds, nuts and spices and create the fusions and flavors you want.
- Notice that the approximate vitamin information is for your entire portion of Dukkah produced from this recipe.
Dukkah Recipe (Egyptian Nut and Spice Mix)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 1348 Energy from Fats 1026
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 11g69%
Trans Fats 0.02g
Polyunsaturated Fats 35g
Monounsaturated Fats 63g
Vitamin A 177IU4%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 2mg118%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 10mg50%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
Vitamin E 37mg247%
Vitamin Okay 4µg4%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 137µg34%
* % Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Dukkah recipe from the archives first revealed on September 2011 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.