Mirchi ka Salan is a spiced, creamy, tangy, earthy, tongue-tickling preparation made with inexperienced chillies in a gravy base of nuts, seeds, aromatics and tamarind. It’s a well-known curry from the Hyderabadi delicacies. Primarily made with inexperienced chilli peppers (a.ok.a hari mirchi in Hindi), this dish is a must have with a Biryani in Hyderabad. The Mirchi ka Salan recipe (additionally known as Biryani Salan) could have fairly a couple of steps in its preparation, however is in any other case a easy one. The daring flavors are absolutely to blow your thoughts away!
‘Salan’ is an Urdu time period for ‘curry’ and ‘mirchi’ interprets to chilli. Therefore, the title. Not simply chilies, however a salan can be made of varied different greens like tomatoes, eggplant, and so forth. As an illustration, I’ve additionally shared this Bhindi ka Salan that’s simply as superior.
Apart from being the most effective pal to a Hyderabadi biryani, the Mirchi ka Salan can also be a conventional dish made throughout particular events and even weddings in Hyderabadi tradition.
Mirchi ka Salan recipe has inexperienced chilies cooked in a floor combination of spices, peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut. The dish has a wealthy nutty taste and a advantageous grainy texture due to these substances.
About Mirchi Ka Salan
Throughout my journeys to the royal metropolis of Hyderabad, I’ve had many alternatives of savoring Mirchi ka Salan. A lot of the instances after I would order a veg biryani within the eating places there, it will at all times be accompanied by a salan and raita.
Since then, the flavors of the Mirchi ka Salan have stayed on my palate and recreating the essence at my house was the necessity of the hour.
This recipe was additionally developed due to a particular request that I obtained from one among my readers. I can say it is a actually good recipe and you need to do that one.
What makes the Mirchi ka Salan distinctive from different curries is:
- It’s made with inexperienced chilies. In any other case, there are hardly any curry/gravy dishes made wholly with chilies in it.
- The masala paste in it’s made with healthful substances like sesame seeds, coconut and peanuts. Which in flip make it a more healthy selection.
- The fantastic thing about the masala paste is that it tones down the fieriness of the inexperienced chilies within the curry and pack an additional punch as nicely.
I’ve additionally added flippantly browned onions within the paste which give a very nice rustic contact. As soon as floor to a paste, it’s then cooked in a typical approach with tamarind water after which simmered with flippantly fried inexperienced chilies.
All this ends in a stunning, zingy, easy Mirchi ka Salan which fits exceptionally nicely with the biryani together with common steamed rice, veg pulao, jeera rice or any Indian flatbread.
Find out how to make Mirchi Ka Salan
Put together Masala Paste
1. Measure and maintain all of the substances prepared for making the masala paste.
2. In a pan, warmth 1 tablespoon oil. Add ⅓ cup sliced onions (about 1 medium-sized onion, sliced) and sauté until flippantly browned on medium-low warmth.
3. Add ¼ cup desiccated unsweetened coconut.
4. Roast stirring typically on a low warmth until desiccated coconut is flippantly golden.
5. Later, add ¼ cup roasted peanuts and 1.5 tablespoons sesame seeds to this combination.
6. Roast for 1 to 2 minutes on low warmth.
7. Now, take the roasted combination together with 2 to three garlic cloves (chopped) and 1 inch ginger (roughly chopped) in a blender jar.
8. Subsequent, add ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
9. Add ½ cup water or as required.
10. Mix the substances to a advantageous and easy paste.
11. Add 1 tablespoon tamarind in ⅓ cup scorching water and maintain apart for about 20 to half-hour.
When the tamarind has softened, squeeze the pulp from it within the soaked water. Set the tamarind water apart.
Prep Inexperienced Chilies
12. Rinse 10 to 12 inexperienced chilies a few instances in water. I’ve used inexperienced chilies which aren’t of the recent selection.
Attempt to use chillies that aren’t spicy or pungent. You could possibly additionally use the bigger and greater sized chillies that’s used to make Mirchi Bajji.
For those who plan to make the recipe with the large-sized chillies, add 5 to six of them.
13. Wipe them dry with a kitchen serviette or material.
14. Take away the chili crowns or you can too maintain them intact.
15. Slit the chilies vertically, however don’t break them.
Fry Chillies or Mirchi
16. Warmth about 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add the slit inexperienced chilies.
18. Fry the chilies until flippantly browned from either side stirring as wanted till you see a some golden blisters on them.
19. Take away the inexperienced chillies and place them on kitchen paper towels.
Make Mirchi Ka Salan
20. Now, in the identical pan, add 2 tablespoons oil. Fry ½ teaspoon mustard seeds until they pop and crackle.
21. Then, add ½ teaspoon onion seeds or nigella seeds (kalonji) and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
22. Add 8 to 10 curry leaves and fry for a minute.
23. Subsequent, add the bottom masala paste.
24. Stir and blend very nicely.
25. Hold stirring constantly on low warmth. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes or extra until the oil floats on the highest and sides of the masala.
26. Squeeze the tamarind and add the tamarind water together with 1.5 or 2 cups water.
27. Combine very nicely.
28. Stir and simmer for five minutes.
29. Add fried inexperienced chilies.
30. Subsequent, add salt as required.
31. Simmer for five to six minutes extra.
32. Garnish with 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves.
33. Serve Mirchi Ka Salan scorching with Hyderabadi veg biryani, plain steamed rice or any Indian flatbread.
- Hold a examine on the curry, it thickens whereas cooking. So, add extra water if required.
- To take away the hotness from the chilies, discard the seeds from the chilies. Additionally, for a much less spicy dish, it’s higher to make use of a milder number of chilies. You too can use a mixture of spicier chillies and delicate ones for a barely spicy tasting curry.
- For those who add the warmer number of chilies, your curry will turn into very spicy. So, keep away from making this recipe with additional fiery inexperienced chilies.
- Use solely contemporary peanuts for the masala paste on this Mirchi ka Salan recipe. Rancid peanuts will spoil the style of the curry. Additionally do use roasted peanuts. Prep by roasting peanuts in a frying pan or within the oven till crunchy.
- For those who don’t wish to add chilies to the curry, you possibly can add different greens of your selection in it.
- You possibly can retailer the leftover Mirchi ka Salan for about 1 to 2 days within the fridge.
Salan or salana principally means a curry.
The Mirchi ka Salan stays good for about 1 to 2 days, if refrigerated.
A conventional Mirchi ka Salan is a specialty of Hyderabadi delicacies. Nonetheless, there are various variations of this dish which are made by totally different folks throughout India.
Mirchi ka Salan tastes actually good with any Indian flatbread like roti, naan, plain paratha in addition to plain steamed rice.
You possibly can dry roast the onions. If you would like, you can too fry the onions in much less oil.
You possibly can take away the seeds of the chilies to cut back the spice stage within the curry. You too can use a milder number of chili for this Mirchi ka Salan.
Please you’ll want to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Mirchi Ka Salan Recipe | Biryani Salan
Prep Time 30 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making ready masala paste
In a pan add 1 tablespoon oil.
Add sliced onions. Stirring typically sauté onions till flippantly browned.
Subsequent add the desiccated coconut. Combine and sauté till the coconut turns mild golden.
Later, add roasted peanuts and sesame seeds to this combination and roast for 1 to 2 minutes on low warmth
Make a easy paste of the above roasted combination with garlic cloves, ginger and all the bottom spice powders with ½ cup water.
Make tamarind water
In a small bowl, soak tamarind with ⅓ cup scorching water for 20 to half-hour.
When the tamarind has softened, squeeze the tamarind pulp within the water within the bowl. Hold the tamarind water apart.
Making ready inexperienced chillies
Take away the inexperienced chilli crowns or you can too maintain them intact.
Rinse and wipe dry the inexperienced chillies.
Slit the chillies vertically, however don’t break them. You possibly can decide to take away the seeds from the chillies in case you choose.
Warmth about 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Fry the chillies flippantly till you see some blisters on them.
Take away and drain on kitchen paper towels.
Making mirchi ka salan
Now, in the identical pan add 2 tablespoons oil. Fry the mustard seeds on low warmth until they crackle.
Then, add nigella seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
Add the bottom masala paste. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on low to medium-low warmth or until the oil floats on the highest and sides of the masala.
Now, add tamarind pulp and 1.5 or 2 cups water. Stir to mix. Simmer for five minutes on low to medium-low warmth.
Add fried inexperienced chilies, salt and simmer for five to six minutes extra.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve Mirchi Ka Salan scorching with veg biryani, plain steamed rice or any Indian flatbread.
- To make a much less spicy dish, use milder number of chilies. You could possibly additionally use a mixture of scorching chillies and the delicate ones to make a barely spicy curry.
- If make the curry with the warmer number of chilies, it should turn into very spicy. So, keep away from making this recipe with additional fiery and scorching inexperienced chilies.
- Decide to take away and discard the seeds from the chilies in case you choose.
- Do give a slit or reduce to the chillies earlier than flippantly frying them.
- Use solely contemporary peanuts for the masala paste within the salan recipe. Rancid peanuts will spoil the style. Bear in mind to make use of roasted peanuts. You possibly can roast peanuts in a frying pan or within the oven till crunchy.
- Skip nigella seeds, in case you shouldn’t have them.
- You could possibly additionally make the curry with greens of your selection as an alternative of inexperienced chillies.
- Any leftover Mirchi ka Salan will be saved for about 1 to 2 days within the fridge.
Mirchi Ka Salan Recipe | Biryani Salan
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 315 Energy from Fats 243
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 6g38%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 18g
Vitamin A 155IU3%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.05mg3%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 25mg125%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin C 55mg67%
Vitamin E 8mg53%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 251µg63%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Mirchi ka Salan recipe from the archives first printed in October 2012 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.