Spicy, zesty, and downright addictive, my recipe for Peri-Peri Sauce from scratch implies that a plateful of taste is rarely removed from attain. Comprised of dry pink chili peppers, this pleasant, home made Portuguese condiment is a favourite at our home.
What’s Peri Peri?
Peri-Peri (additionally spelled Piri-Piri) is each the title of a vibrant pink Portuguese sauce, in addition to the eponymous African Chicken’s Eye chili pepper that the condiment is known as after.
Legend has it that the Piri-Piri chilies arrived in Portugal by way of the Portuguese who cultivated them within the colonized South African territories. The Piri-Piri chilies discovered their approach right into a sauce developed by the Portuguese which has now turn out to be a staple in Portugal.
I truthfully have no idea the actual story… Who developed the sauce and the place did the chilis come from? I’m undecided. All I do know is that the sauce is REALLY AWESOME and REALLY SPICY.
Peri-Peri chiles are fairly spicy, with a typical vary of between 50,000-125,000 Scoville Warmth Models (SHUs). For reference, jalapeño peppers are about 3,500 SHUs. Like I stated, these little chiles are fiery, and the sauce they’re utilized in shares the identical spicy traits.
About Peri Peri Sauce Recipe
If scorching and spicy are two adjectives you want on your meals, you’ll love this scrumptious peri-peri sauce! As an added bonus, the recipe takes simply 10 minutes to make, begin to end. You merely can’t beat that!
My sister really launched me to peri-peri sauce (11 years again) and I couldn’t resist developing with this recipe. When she advised me the title peri-peri, I had one thing of a deja vu.
Because it seems, the South African chain restaurant often called Nando’s really had a couple of branches in Bangalore then. Thriller solved!
The peri-peri sauce is tremendous scrumptious, so we now have it with every part from greens and rice to salads and bread. It brings zest and spice to any dish it touches, which is a part of why we like it so.
It’s also possible to serve it with snacks like French Fries, Veg Momos, Spring Rolls, Aloo Tikki, or anything that might use a superb dipping sauce.
Sometimes talking, piri-piri sauce can be used to marinate meats or seafood; as vegetarians, we want to make use of it as a marinade for paneer or tofu, or as extra of a dipping sauce with different ready meals.
Elements, Substitutions, & Variations
Being a worldwide citizen, I’m conscious that preferences and ingredient availability will fluctuate by location. As such, I wish to just be sure you know which substitutions you should use to customise this peri-peri sauce recipe to your liking. Listed here are a couple of concepts:
- Use the pink chillies which are out there to you. However consider their taste profile – whether or not smoky, spicy, pungent or scorching. I’ve made the sauce with a wide range of Indian pink chili known as Kashmiri pink chillies. These chillies have a deep pink shade and will not be spicy. However when mixed in a sauce, they have been scorching sufficient for all of us. The remainder of the elements are at all times simply out there within the kitchen pantry.
- A mix of various pink chilies can be used relying on their hotness. For dry chilies, make sure you soak them in cool water for two to three hours or 15 to twenty minutes in scorching water earlier than mixing them.
- As a substitute of lemon juice, one may use vinegar/cider vinegar or a 50/50 break up of lemon juice and vinegar. I didn’t add vinegar to the sauce. I solely used lemon juice.
- If you would like a skinny sauce, the quantity of olive oil might be elevated.
- Additionally, please observe that the extra the sauce ages, the higher it turns into. This makes it a wonderful candidate on your meal prep day.
The best way to make Peri Peri Sauce
1. Take 11 to 12 dry pink Kashmiri chilies, or any recent or dried pink chili selection. Take away the stems and seeds.
To take away the seeds, break the chillies or halve them or you may slit them on one facet. Shake them and the seeds will fall. It’s also possible to decide to take away the seeds utilizing a small spoon.
You should use any number of dry pink chilies with low to medium SHUs. If utilizing tremendous scorching fowl’s eye chilis, then you may add 4 to five of them together with the milder dry pink chilies.
2. Rinse the dry pink chilies in water. Soak them in scorching water for 10 to fifteen minutes earlier than mixing them. In case you are utilizing recent pink chilies then skip this step.
3. Peel and chop 7 to eight medium-sized garlic cloves. Measure and hold all of the elements prepared for making the peri-peri sauce.
4. In a blender or meals processor, add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (a.ok.a. cilantro leaves, or sub in parsley leaves) and the soaked dry pink Kashmiri chilies.
5. Subsequent add 7 to eight chopped garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon pink chili flakes (optionally available) and salt as required.
You would use ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or pink chilli powder as an alternative of pink chilli flakes.
6. Pour ¼ cup olive oil or vegetable oil. The quantity of olive oil might be elevated if you would like a skinny sauce with an extended shelf life.
7. Lastly add the juice of 1 medium-sized lemon (or roughly 1 tablespoon lemon juice). You should use ½ tablespoon vinegar as an alternative of lemon juice should you want.
8. Grind in a blender or meals processor and mix to a tremendous and clean consistency.
9. Cowl and retailer the Peri Peri sauce in a container within the fridge for as much as 2 weeks.
This scrumptious sauce is a must-try for individuals who like scorching and spicy meals. Listed here are a couple of methods to make use of it:
- As a dipping sauce with any snacks like French Fries, Potato Wedges, or Veg Cutlet or vegetable crudités.
- As marination for tofu, paneer (Indian cottage cheese), veggies like cauliflower, potatoes, mushrooms, capsicum, aubergines after which grilled, roasted, sautéed or fried.
- Added to easy dishes like Fried Rice or Veg Noodles. 1 or 2 teaspoons of the peri-peri sauce will make the rice spicy and flavorful.
- As a topping on Pizza, Pita Bread sandwiches, wraps or rolls.
Sure, they’re. The spellings derive from totally different pronunciations of the chili pepper and sauce, from a wide range of totally different African languages. Pili-pili is one more spelling for this spicy chilli.
I used vibrant pink Kashmiri chilis in my piri-piri sauce; these peppers are recognized for his or her saturated pink hue. Relying on what kind of chilis you utilize, and even should you use recent as an alternative of dried, the colour of your sauce my fluctuate.
Deal with it like Pesto and add a layer of oil on prime of the sauce to assist defend it from the air. It ought to final for as much as two weeks within the fridge. It’s also possible to freeze it for as much as 6 months if wanted.
Extra Sauces To Strive!
Please make sure you fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Peri Peri Sauce Recipe | Home made Piri Piri Sauce
This home made Peri Peri sauce is a spicy, scorching and fiery condiment made with dried pink chilies, herbs, spices and olive oil. Zesty, and downright addictive this pleasant Portuguese condiment is a favourite at our home.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 0 minutes
Complete Time 20 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Take away the stems from the dry pink chilies.
Slit the chillies and shake them to take away the seeds.
Rinse them in water after which soak in scorching water for 15 to twenty minutes.
Peel and chop the garlic roughly.
Add all of the elements in a blender or meals processor and mix or course of to a clean and tremendous consistency.
Retailer the Peri Peri sauce in an hermetic container within the fridge.
- Use dried pink chillies which are out there to you. However take into account their pungency, spiciness, smokiness and hotness earlier than utilizing them. You would use a mix of two to a few chilli variants.
- The peri peri sauce can be made with recent pink chillies. With recent chillies, the sauce could have a much less shelf life. Do refrigerate and end the sauce in 2 to three days.
- Word that the approximate vitamin information is for your entire portion of piri piri sauce created from this recipe.
Peri Peri Sauce Recipe | Home made Piri Piri Sauce
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 536 Energy from Fats 495
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 8g50%
Polyunsaturated Fats 6g
Monounsaturated Fats 40g
Vitamin A 2323IU46%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.04mg3%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg20%
Vitamin C 15mg18%
Vitamin E 9mg60%
Vitamin Okay 53µg50%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 9µg2%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Peri Peri Sauce recipe from the archives first revealed in September 2011 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.