Candy, tangy, spiced, and pungent, this Kerala fashion Pineapple Pachadi is the proper addition to the vegetarian feast generally known as Onam Sadya. Made with recent pineapple cubes, yogurt, coconut, herbs, spices in about 20 minutes, this fruity raita-like condiment is as easy to make as it’s tasty.
About Pineapple Pachadi
Pineapple Pachadi is a deliciously sweet-sour Kerala dish made with pineapple, coconut, mustard seeds, and curd. Whereas they could look considerably related, the flavour of pineapple pachadi could be very totally different from common Pineapple Raita.
Each kichadi and pachadi aspect dishes are made for the Onam Sadya feast. Numerous vegetables and fruit are used to make kichadi or pachadi.
The flavour of pineapple pachadi is advanced. Whereas pineapple does lend its sweetish aroma and taste, there may be additionally some pungency from the bottom mustard seeds, and a bit of warmth and spiciness coming from the inexperienced chilies.
Let’s not overlook the refined sweetness of coconut and the tanginess of curd that are additionally highlights of this pachadi recipe. The tempering of mustard and dry pink chillies in coconut oil provides yet one more dimension to the style.
Making pineapple pachadi is straightforward, much like the Cucumber Pachadi. In complete, you solely want 12 components and 20 minutes of time within the kitchen.
As soon as made, Pineapple Pachadi might be served as a aspect dish in an Onam sadya or with any vegetarian Kerala meal.
It’s finest to make use of recent pineapple, however you can too use canned. The canned pineapple cubes will prepare dinner sooner than the recent pineapple cubes.
Additionally, you will want some common Indian spices and herbs. These spices and herbs add depths of flavors.
Contemporary curd or yogurt can also be added which imparts some creaminess to the dish. Don’t forget to make use of edible coconut oil because it makes this dish really genuine.
make Pineapple Pachadi
Make Coconut Paste
1. In a small grinder jar or blender, take the components listed under:
- ¼ cup grated recent coconut
- 1 inexperienced chili (chopped) or 1 teaspoon, chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
For a extra pronounced mustard taste, you may add as much as 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
2. Add 2 to three tablespoons water and grind to a advantageous and easy consistency. Maintain the coconut paste apart.
Cook dinner Pineapple
3. Take 1.25 cups of chopped pineapple cubes in a pan. Cube the pineapple in small items or cubes, however not finely — you need some texture within the pachadi.
4. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 to 2 teaspoons jaggery, or add as per style.
Jaggery might be skipped if the pineapple could be very candy. As an alternative of jaggery, you can too add sugar.
5. Add ⅓ to ½ cup water. Simply add sufficient water to *nearly* cowl the pineapple cubes.
If the pineapple cubes are very candy and smooth, then much less water will likely be required. If they’re agency and solely just a little candy, then extra water will likely be wanted.
6. Combine effectively to mix.
7. Maintain the pan on the stovetop and on a low-medium warmth prepare dinner the pineapple. Stir at intervals.
8. Simmer until the pineapple cubes have softened. Additionally, let a lot of the water evaporate from the pan. Keep in mind to not overcook the pineapple cubes. They simply want to melt.
Make Pineapple Pachadi
9. Add the bottom coconut paste to the pan with the softened pineapple.
10. Season with salt as per style.
11. Combine very effectively.
12. Simmer and prepare dinner this pineapple combination for two to three minutes on a low warmth. Take care to not boil or prepare dinner for a very long time as this will cut up the curd.
12. Let this combination cool at room temperature.
13. Beat ½ cup curd (yogurt) with a spoon or wired whisk until easy. It’s also possible to add some extra curd for those who choose.
Be certain that the curd is recent and never overly bitter or tangy.
14. As soon as the pineapple and coconut combination has cooled down sufficient to develop into lukewarm, then add the overwhelmed curd.
15. Combine very effectively.
Mood Pineapple Pachadi
16. Warmth ½ tablespoon coconut oil in a tadka pan or a small frying pan. Maintain warmth to a low and add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds.
17. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
18. Then add 1 dry pink chili (seeds eliminated) and seven to eight curry leaves.
19. Fry for just a few seconds until the curry leaves develop into crisp and the pink chili adjustments colour. Don’t burn them.
20. Pour the tempering within the pachadi combination.
21. Combine very effectively.
22. Serve Pineapple Pachadi as a aspect dish for Onam sadya or any vegetarian Kerala meal. It’s also possible to refrigerate after which serve. Leftover pineapple pachadi might be refrigerated for about 1 day.
- Use candy, ripe pineapple. If it’s bitter or tangy, it gained’t be good on this pachadi recipe. It’s also possible to use canned pineapple. If utilizing canned pineapple, drain all of the liquid, rinse the pineapple after which chop them in small cubes.
- Spices and herbs. Ensure to incorporate all of the spices and herbs as talked about within the recipe. Eradicating any of them will deliver a few change within the style.
- Fat: For an genuine dish, coconut oil is a should. Having stated that for those who can’t supply coconut oil, make the recipe in any impartial flavored oil.
- No recent coconut? No drawback. Desiccated coconut can be utilized as a substitute of recent coconut, however the style will change barely. Frozen coconut additionally works effectively. Ensure the frozen coconut has a candy, not bitter, style and that it hasn’t gone rancid.
- To make a vegan possibility. Be happy to make use of your favourite plain, unsweetened plant-based yogurt (e.g. coconut, cashew, or almond yogurt).
- Scaling. Simply scale the recipe up or down as wanted. You might additionally add some extra curd for those who choose to the pachadi recipe.
Please you should definitely fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Pineapple Pachadi is a deliciously candy, bitter and spiced dish made with recent pineapple cubes, coconut, curd (yogurt) and loads of spices and herbs. It is among the aspect dish served within the Onam Sadya which is a vegetarian feast.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook dinner Time 10 minutes
Whole Time 20 minutes
For floor coconut and mustard paste
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making coconut paste
In a small grinder jar take grated recent coconut, chopped inexperienced chilies, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
Add 2 to three tablespoons water and grind to easy and advantageous consistency. Maintain the coconut paste apart.
Take chopped pineapple cubes in a pan. Keep in mind to chop the pineapple in small items, however not finely.
- Add turmeric powder and 1 to 2 teaspoons jaggery or add as per style. Jaggery might be skipped if the pineapple could be very candy. As an alternative of jaggery you can too add sugar.
Add ½ cup water and combine effectively.
Maintain the pan on stovetop and on a medium-low warmth prepare dinner the pineapple. Do stir at intervals.
Simmer until the pineapple cubes have softened. Additionally let a lot of the water evaporate from the pan.
Making pineapple pachadi
Now add the bottom coconut paste.
Season with salt as per style and combine very effectively.
Simmer and prepare dinner this pineapple combination for two to three minutes on a low warmth stirring usually. Take care to not boil or prepare dinner for a very long time as this will cut up the curd.
Then preserve the pan down and let this combination cool at room temperature.
Beat ½ cup curd with a spoon or wired whisk until easy.
As soon as the pineapple+coconut combination has cooled or develop into lukewarm, then add the overwhelmed curd. Combine very effectively.
Warmth coconut oil in a tadka pan or a small frying pan. Maintain warmth to a low and add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds.
Let the mustard seeds crackle.
Then add the dry pink chilli and seven to eight curry leaves.
Fry for just a few seconds until the curry leaves develop into crisp and the pink chili adjustments colour. Don’t burn the spices.
Pour the tempering within the pachadi combination. Combine very effectively.
- Serve Pineapple Pachadi as a aspect dish in an Onam sadya or a Kerala vegetarian meal. It’s also possible to refrigerate Pineapple Pachadi for just a few hours after which serve. Left over pineapple pachadi might be refrigerated for a few day.
- Be certain that pineapple has a candy style and are usually not bitter or tangy.
- Desiccated coconut can be utilized as a substitute of recent coconut, however style will change barely. Frozen coconut additionally works effectively. Ensure the frozen coconut has a candy style and never bitter or gone rancid.
- The recipe can be made with plant primarily based yogurt like coconut yogurt, almond yogurt and cashew yogurt.
- Attempt to use coconut oil if attainable.
- You may simply scale the recipe.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 91 Energy from Fats 54
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 5g31%
Ldl cholesterol 5mg2%
Vitamin A 271IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 27mg135%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 70mg85%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 282µg71%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Pineapple Pachadi recipe from the archives first printed in Could 2018 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.