RFE/RL’s Ukraine Reside Briefing offers you the newest on Russia’s invasion, how Kyiv is combating again, the plight of civilians, and Western response. The Reside Briefing presents the newest developments and evaluation, up to date all through the day. For all of RFE/RL’s protection of the conflict, click on right here.
Right here Are The Newest Developments
- The European Fee is because of give a fast-tracked opinion on Ukraine’s bid to change into a candidate for EU membership.
- Heavy combating continues within the Donbas, with Ukrainian forces holding out towards large bombardment in the important thing metropolis of Syevyerodonetsk and the close by area.
- All 4 European leaders who visited Ukraine on June 16 assist “rapid” EU candidate standing for Ukraine, French President Emmanuel Macron stated after a gathering with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, Macron, and Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi toured a Kyiv suburb to witness firsthand the large destruction wrought on the realm by Russian forces.
- The U.S. agriculture secretary has known as on Russia to open Ukraine’s ports to permit the export of stockpiled grain, whereas a U.S. satellite tv for pc firm says it has pictures of Russian ships delivering Ukrainian grain to Syria.
- Britain has positioned sanctions on the top of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, for “his outstanding assist of Russian navy aggression in Ukraine.”
- America has introduced further rounds of weapons for Ukraine valued at round $1 billion as Ukraine presses the West to ship extra navy assist within the face of a Russian offensive.
- Ukraine has acquired simply 10 p.c of the weapons it has requested from the West to assist struggle the Russian invasion, in line with the nation’s deputy protection minister.
Kyiv, Moscow Are Each Racing In opposition to Time In Ukraine, Says Former U.S. Protection Official
Chris Dougherty, a former U.S. protection official and fellow on the Heart for a New American Safety, explains why each Russia and Ukraine face tight timelines on the battlefield and hard political questions over how lengthy they will maintain their conflict efforts. Learn Dougherty’s interview with Reid Standish right here.
Is Ukraine Shedding The Conflict? Relies upon How You Look At it.
Bridges are blown in a key Donbas metropolis. Russian forces are advancing. About 100-200 Ukrainian troopers are dying day by day. Amid withering Russian artillery and rocket hearth, the tide of conflict is popping towards Ukraine. Specialists say, nevertheless, it is determined by the way you outline the time period “lose.” Learn the story by Mike Eckel right here.
Drone Wars: Ukraine And Russia’s Aerial Battle In The Skies Over Donbas
Aerial drones are taking part in a essential function for each the Ukrainian and Russian militaries as they struggle over Ukraine’s japanese Donbas area. Ukrainian forces are utilizing industrial drones for surveillance and have destroyed a number of Russian tanks with Turkish-built Bayraktar unmanned aerial autos (UAVs). Russia’s fleet of Orlan-10 drones, in the meantime, assist pinpoint artillery hearth with lethal accuracy.
Does Russia Nonetheless Have The Potential To Wage A Lengthy-Time period Conflict?
In an interview with Present Time, Ukraine’s deputy head of navy intelligence warned that Kyiv is on the brink of dropping territory and is presently outgunned. Learn the interview with Aleksei Aleksandrov right here.
What Is Russia Doing To Replenish Its Forces In Ukraine?
By some estimates, Russia has misplaced extra troopers in 15 weeks of conflict in Ukraine than in all the 10-year Soviet conflict in Afghanistan. Moscow is getting artistic in the way it’s recruiting extra troopers for the struggle. Learn the report by Yury Baranyuk right here.
Why Is Russia’s ‘Underperforming’ Navy Nonetheless Making Positive factors In Ukraine?
George Barros, an analyst on the Institute for the Research of Conflict, explains why counterattacks, Western-supplied artillery, and geography will outline the subsequent part of the Ukraine conflict. Learn the interview by Reid Standish right here.
Will Western Sanctions Derail Russia’s Authorities?
Western sanctions will batter Russia’s economic system this 12 months. Does that imply the federal government of President Vladimir Putin is threatened? A outstanding Russian economist and banker says no. Learn the interview by Sergei Medvedev right here.
Ukrainian Troops Get Morale Enhance As M777 Howitzers Make An Impression
The Ukrainian navy has began to actively use the 155-millimeter M777 howitzer delivered by the US. RFE/RL’s Maryan Kushnir visited frontline positions and talked to troopers combating Russian troops within the Donetsk area.
Can Grain Trains Save Ukrainian Farmers, And Avert A International Meals Disaster?
Ukrainian farmers have struggled to get their crops to market because of a Russian naval blockade of the nation’s Black Sea ports. Now, Ukraine, its neighbors, and the EU are scrambling to seek out various routes, together with rail. However is it sufficient? Learn the report by Tony Wesolowsky right here.
Can Western Artillery Cease Russia’s Progress In The Donbas?
Russian troops are “incrementally” gaining territory within the japanese area as they search to overwhelm Ukrainian protection forces with artillery bombardments. Will new Western weapon provides make a distinction? Learn the report by Todd Prince right here.